Tax Form 1098-T

Every year, UNM prepares and sends to applicable students a Tax Form 1098-T Tuition Statement to assist them in determining eligibility for educational tax credits. It is a tax statement that provides a student with the amount of payments made toward Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE) on their account during the tax (calendar) year. UNM is required to file a Form 1098-T Tuition Statement with the Internal Revenue Service for students who made such payments.

While a Form 1098-T may be issued, a student’s personal financial records serve as official supporting documentation for a federal tax return.

Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses, or QTRE (spoken as cutrie), generally only includes tuition and fees, including mandatory and course fees.

Housing, meal plan, insurance premiums, health center charges, parking permits and citations, and other miscellaneous charges are not considered QTRE.

See Tax Information for Students as well as IRS Publication 970, both on the IRS website, for further information.

Beginning with Tax Year 2018, due to a change in federal reporting requirements, colleges and universities are required to report in Box 1 payments from all sources that were made during the calendar year for QTRE that were incurred during the calendar year. (In previous years, Form 1098-T included an amount in Box 2, representing QTRE charges billed to a student in the tax year.)

Payments made toward non-QTRE charges are not included in Box 1. These include, but are not limited to, Housing, Meal Plan, Bookstore, Parking Permits and Citations, and other miscellaneous expenses.

The Tax Form will be mailed no later than January 31. We are required by federal law to mail the form to the student's Permanent Address. If no Permanent Address exists, then by default it will be mailed to the Mailing Address. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the address on record is current and accurate.

In addition to being mailed, the information is available to currently registered students in LoboWeb under the Tax Notifications section in the Registration & Records menu. The form is also available in the Bursar Account Suite to students and their Authorized Users.

You may update your address(es) in LoboWeb through Demographic Self-Service.

You may contact the Bursar's Office for questions on the amounts listed on the 1098-T; however, the staff are not tax professionals therefore cannot offer any tax preparation advice. As such, you should consult your tax preparer with any tax preparation questions.

You can also reference the Tax Information for Students page as well as IRS Publication 970 on the IRS website.

Yes. If a 1098-T was generated for you in a prior year, it will be available to you in LoboWeb under the Tax Notifications section in the Registration & Records menu. If you no longer have access to LoboWeb, you can contact the Bursar’s Office and someone in the office will provide you with a copy.

  • You are classified as a non-resident alien on your student record and we are not required by the IRS to prepare a 1098-T unless requested;
  • Your form was mailed to an old or incorrect address;
  • There were no qualified tuition or related expenses reportable in the tax year.

If you are a non-resident alien and want a 1098-T, contact the Bursar’s Office.

If your 1098-T was mailed to an old or incorrect address, update your address through Demographic Self-Service then contact the Bursar's Office and we can re-mail the form to you. If you no longer have access to LoboWeb, visit the Bursar’s Office with a photo ID and we will update your address.

It is because as of December 31 of the applicable tax year, your UNM record did not have a SSN/TIN listed. If you have a SSN/TIN, you can visit the One Stop and ask what they need to update your record. Once your record is updated by them, then the Bursar’s Office can update your 1098-T.

We are not required by the IRS to report a 1098-T for non-resident aliens, unless specifically requested by the student.